Lesson Overview and Instructions
Lesson Description and Purpose:
This lesson will provide background and a definition of Information Technology (IT). It will explain the purpose of this class as it relates to other college majors and occupational fields outside Computer Science. You will get an introduction to the IT “system” concept, how hardware, software, protocols, and process come together to create this “worldwide machine” of information exchange and storage.
Lesson Objectives (with associated materials and activities):
· Define Information Technology by reading the Instructor’s lecture and the web article on the evolution of Information Technology, and defining the terms (from the course materials and other reliable sources available) in the WEEK 2 Assignment activity.
· Define other terms associated with Information Technology by defining these terms (from the course materials and other reliable sources available) in the WEEK 2 Assignment activity.
· Explain the evolution of Information Technology and how it has come to shape our world today by reading the web article on the evolution of Information Technology and addressing the questions given in the WEEK 2 Assignment activity.
· Explain the basic relationship between hardware, software, and the processing of data by defining terminology and answering questions in the WEEK 2 Assignment, as well in the WEEK 2 Quiz from reading the material in the Instructors lecture, WEEK 2 Slide Presentation, and other research materials as used in the WEEK 2 Assignment activity.
The following resources and activities, including assessments, will aid in meeting the above stated lesson objectives.
1. Post to the WEEK 2 Discussion board topic, a reflection on your impressions of IT.
Remember to adhere to the “Discussion Participation Rubric” located in the "Grading Rubrics" module
for your posting.
2. Complete the WEEK 2 Assignment (Dropbox folder) concerning basic terminology.
See the article "Searching and Researching with the Internet" in this activities module for information
on searching for answers and citing your work. This will apply for all of these types of assignments.
3. Use the Practice Quiz (self-assessment) to prepare for the Unit quiz.
4. Complete WEEK 2 Quiz (open book/note, but timed).
The Discussion board posting, WEEK 2 Assignment, and WEEK 2 Quiz are due on Sunday at 12 Midnight (11:59).